What is Image?
An image is not a photograph, neither is it some sought-after aura we only see around celebrities. An image is the pictures another person has of us. It can change, if can grow and it can occupy so much mind space that we naturally become top of mind recall.
An image is what others see in us first. It is also what stays when a personal, professional or social meeting gets over. An image can open up doors by inspiring likability and confidence in others. And provide us the critical opportunity to prove our true worth and abilities
Your Image is continually at work. You can’t hide it. It can work for you or against you. Your Image can be a major asset in achieving your goals or it can be a tremendous liability that holds you back without you ever knowing why.
Image is the physical representation of who you are and what you are all about—your attitudes, appearance, and actions. Image is all that an individual projects consciously or unconsciously—the way you look, care for, and carry yourself, your personal style, poise, and presence. It’s part of who you are.
Image is always relative to the time, place, and occasion or purpose. Image is dynamic, always changing. Change the cue or clue, change the Image, change the impression, and change the interaction. It happens.
What is Image Management?
- Image Management is the ongoing, pro-active process of evaluating and controlling the impact of your appearance on you, on others, and the achievement of your goals.
- Image Management is creating an authentic, appropriate, attractive, and affordable personal and/or professional Image which increases your confidence, credibility, capability, and productivity while contributing to continuing success.
- Image Management is all about respect—respect for self and respect for others, respect for occasions, roles, and goals. It is smart to practice Image Management daily—in the home, school, community, and in the workplace.
- Image Management is an effective way to attract others—to encourage others to regard you favourably and with continued interest. Positive self-presentation is an open invitation to become acquainted with the person inside. It is an effective way to influence the opinion or actions of others. Effective Personal Image Management aids you in achieving personal and professional success.
- Some people have a natural talent or ability to present themselves appropriately and attractively. Most do not. The good news is that Image Management skills can be learned, then practised till they become second nature.
Elements of Image Management
The way you look affects the way you think, the way you feel, the way you act or behave and the way others react or respond to you.
The elements of Image Management include Appearance, Behaviour and Communication. Also since these days, many of our meetings also happen on social media, your Image on the digital media is as important as your Image during fact to face meetings.
Why is it Important to Manage your Image?
“You never get a second chance to make a first impression.” This statement always holds true.
People make snap judgments about you and it strongly influences their perception of your personality, values, financial success, authority, trustworthiness, intelligence and candidature for job or promotion. Relationship between Image and first impression is that of cause and effect. You project an Image based on which people form a first impression about you. Managing your Image helps you create powerful and positive first and everlasting impressions thereby creating more opportunities for you in personal, professional and social lives.
Image Management in India
Image Management is a multi-billion-dollar industry today because of the competition getting fiercer by the day. From job aspirants to established professionals, homemakers to children, almost all categories of people today require expert assistance in managing their image and projecting a powerful persona.
In India, a flux of funds and opportunities was seen during the opening up of the economy in the 1990s. It paved the way for new professions, largely inspired by the urban culture, a significant example being image management. People from all walks of life in India have become aware of the need for creating a professional image that impresses.
That’s where image management consultants come into the picture. They help people walk their talk by helping them highlight the strongest aspects of their personalities.
Fashion Design Studios
Who Needs Image Management?
- Corporate communication professionals
- Those in the public eye
- Training professionals in corporates
- Airline professionals
What Is Image Management Job?
Image Management professionals have an extremely wide scope of work across various industries. Some of the many fields they work in include:
Interview styling and grooming
TV and movie set styling
Photography studio styling
Retail fashion store ownership
Editorial image management
Become a Certified Image Management Consultant
A globally-recognized certification hugely adds to the credibility of an image management consultant. A well-structured course and professional training help image management aspirants reach their personal and professional goals faster and achieve great success since:
Globally-accepted certification adds credibility.
Well-structured courses set a clear learning path through experiential learning programs and consistent feedback.
Associating with a professional body or institute gives access to a wide network of audiences that may require image management services.
You can become a certified image management consultant or image management professional with ICBI in 3 steps:
Some of ICBI’s Successful Image Management Consultants
ICBI certified image management consultants have transformed their lives both professionally and personally, earning name and fame in various industries. Some of them include: